The Energy Efficiency Office (EEO) of Electrical and Mechanical Services Department (EMSD) of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China has commissioned studies to develop energy utilisation indexes and benchmarking tools for selected energy-consuming groups in Hong Kong since 2001.
The energy utilization indexes and benchmarks serve to allow the energy-consuming groups to understand their energy consumption levels and performances with respect to corresponding peers. Energy utilization index is primarily used to indicate the energy consumption level and energy use intensity of different operating entities. Energy consumption benchmark is developed based on the development of benchmarking system for any particular energy consumption subgroup which allows user to benchmark their own energy consumption performance with others having similar operational & physical characteristics.
EMSD has updated and reviewed the energy consumption profiles for a total of 96 energy-consuming groups that covers residential, commercial and transport sectors as follows:
- Residential Sector: 5 energy-consuming groups
- Commercial Sector: 60 energy-consuming groups
- Transport Sector: 31 energy-consuming groups
The update and reviews were accomplished by carrying out extensive and in-depth field surveys conducted mainly between 2011 and 2017 to identify a series of affecting factors regarding the operational and physical characteristics of concerned subjects, end-use technologies & equipment and energy consumption levels in order to evaluate the most influencing factors for the respective energy-consuming groups.
Energy benchmarking tools were hence developed in accordance with the survey results, subsequent analysis and resulted in expression of energy utilization indexes and benchmarks. It facilitates the general public according to their operational profiles and physical characteristics to assess their energy consumption performances in accordance with their energy end-use systems and equipment as compared with other subjects in the same energy-consuming group in Hong Kong.
The energy utilisation indexes and benchmarking tools have to move with times and will be updated with the latest field surveys. Latest updates as below:
- The data of "V8. Light Goods Vehicles (Petrol)", "V9. Light Goods Vehicles (Diesel)", "V10. Medium Goods Vehicles (Diesel)" and "V11. Heavy Goods Vehicle (Diesel)" in Transport Sector was updated in November 2023.
- The data of "C10. Government Office Building" in Commercial Sector was updated in August 2022.
- The data of "C5. Hospitals and Clinics" and "C6. Educational Services" groups in Commercial Sector were updated in May 2022.
- The data of "V1. Motorcycle (Petrol)" and "V2. Private Cars" groups in Transport Sector were updated in April 2022.
- The data of "C2. Restaurant" and "C4. Accommodations" groups in Commercial Sector were updated in January 2022.
- The data of "C1. Private Office" and "C7. Warehouse" groups in Commercial Sector were updated in December 2021.
PURPOSE OF ESTABLISHING THE BENCHMARKING WARE
This online energy benchmarking tool provides a platform for Hong Kong users to benchmark the energy consumption performance among the selected energy-consuming groups. It helps to foster efficient energy consumption concept and to promote awareness of the general public in Hong Kong.
With this web site, interested parties can make use of this Online Benchmarking Tools to understand its energy consumption performance in comparison to others within its subgroup. The benchmarking ware will also provide advices on energy conservation that are applicable to the energy-consuming group.
USER GUIDE FOR APPLYING THE ONLINE BENCHMARKING TOOLS
The procedures of applying the Online Benchmarking Tools is shown in the User Guide.